Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Casting Bait

My only fear is that I will neglect minimalism. It's so easy to be a tourist, and it's so easy to spend money, to think about money, to consider money.

I'm ok with spending money, really, but not wasting it. If I don't need something, I really don't want it. The value of a dollar is degraded to us. $30 can feed 15 Zambians for a year, says Paul.

What I'm saying is that I better only spend cash, leave the debit card behind. I better not even bring $100, because what I have, I will spend. (Most of) the church still strongly believes in hospitality, and I believe that will suffice for me, as far as food and shelter is concerned. I need to learn to allow myself to be blessed by others anyways, without feeling the need to reciprocate. Again, the theme is opening up myself to vulnerability.

Paul informed me of a few changes. We'll be making our first stop in Ohio at a Young Life camp. I am indifferent about this. We will be then stopping at Hannah's in Minnesota. Then Yellowstone. I think that's what it was. There are two main routes to Seattle from there, one through Montana mountains, which Danika suggested, and one through Twin Falls Idaho, which professional hitchhiker Tara acknowledged as an incredible town with incredible people. My goal is to be indifferent and appreciative of everything.

Wish I could dedicate a lifetime to this kind of thing.
Oh, wait.
I can?
Minimalism at its finest?
Join me?

1 comment:

kathryn said...

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/450632