Monday, November 24, 2008

transcendentalism

Henry David Thoreau should have written New Testament letters.

In Walden, Thoreau chooses to live a simple life in the woods. He encourages the concept of making one's affairs few, so that he or she can focus rather than be torn in 452987 separate directions by frivolous things (which ultimately leads to a lack of progress).

I've been very much at peace this week, and I think this is why. This weekend Morgan and I played three shows, and they were all equally awesome. I am choosing to give away some clothes and I am choosing to stop thinking about myself. When someone wants my help, I help them. It's not only fulfilling, but it's fun.

I'm ready to leave home, because I am starting to detach myself from "things." I realize now that the only "thing" that really matters is people. And the Gospel of Christ. Take away everything else, and you only gain from it. (Though I could never depart with my Macintosh.)

I don't care about purchasing gift store items or even seeing famous landmarks and monuments. I'm largely indifferent. I just want to meet people. That is what gives traveling its worth.

December 19 is too far away.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

Reading your thoughts makes me excited to be alive! I'm really going to try and find something memerable when you guys come out.

JESUS JESUS JESUS =]

biz said...

my favorite is when you said you couldn't leave your mac.

in all this, i appreciate your honesty. thanks for blogging.