Sunday, November 16, 2008

Genesis

My intent to become a vagabond was discovered halfway through my "being in a band" career in high school. Sleeping on strangers' floors and dumpster diving did not appeal to me until I recognized that in the universe of the music scene, these events were not only "cool," but also efficient, as far as living is concerned. However, my current, more recently developed incentive for living a bare-bones life is adventure. Adventure is central to the human heart. Some people just aren't willing to be vulnerable to embracing adventure.

Over the past month, my logic for most of my actions has been, "you only live once." I think I like it. Not many regrets thus far.

The !Kung people of the Kalahari Desert measure wealth not by how much one possesses, but by how "free" one can be. They don't understand how Americans can buy homes and material things, because to them, it seems like we are tying ourselves down. It seems like we are unable to travel and be mobile. Their philosophy is to share all possessions and duties equally.

So one night around 3 AM I was sitting in the kitchen/lounge area of my floor in Naugle Residence at Messiah College. My RA Paul came in the room and sat down and we had some small talk. I told him that Morgan and I were considering doing some touring over winter break with our musical endeavors. He asked if we'd like to come along with him on a big road trip across America. "I always wanted to travel the country but I never found anybody adventurous enough to do it with." I thought that was absurd, that nobody would consider leaving their "things" behind, considering that you only live once. I told Paul I would go with him.

The next day I presented the opportunity to Morgan and she declined, although she said it would be an enjoyable journey. She had family and friends to see over the break which I completely understood/understand.

So it was decided that Paul and I would go travel America, stopping at friends' homes everywhere between Pennsylvania, Seattle, the Grand Canyon, and Dallas. It was also decided that another person would have to come along to cut gas costs (we estimated a safe $350 per person). We would sleep in the car (Paul's Audi) or on living room floors and use many of Paul's hundreds of Chic-fil-a free meal coupons. I will save up my campus flex dollars and buy out the campus grocery store the day before departure.

So that was the story back in September. It is now mid-November, and since then the following things have occured:

- Paul has decided not to go, to go during summer instead, and finally officially redecided to go during winter break. He has finally expressed his official dedication to the trip.
- Paul's friend Mike, from Paul's hometown (Salisbury, MD) would come along
- It was decided we would each drive roughly 4 hours a day
- It was decide we are going to videotape and journal our adventures (via internet/this website?)
- I got dumped
- I got a $10/hr job on campus
- I worked two jobs for a month
- I met awesome people
- I have fully completed 11 textbooks and novels in a two-month period
- I got accepted to go on a service trip to Northern Ireland over spring break to share Jesus with the world

I purchased two copies of Through Painted Deserts by Donald Miller, and Paul and I have been reading together. Right now I'm about 5 chapters behind, but tomorrow is partially devoted to catching up with him. The story is about two boys who leave home in an old VW van. It contemplates the "why" of life rather than the "how." It's good preparation for our own road trip. It makes me wish we had more than 19 days for our own journey. I'd like to work without a schedule.

This book I speak of is the reason for this blog's URL ("TheWordIsLeave"). In the author's preface, he talks about just leaving things behind that tie you down, to just get out and fully live. To hold nothing back. "It might be time for you to go. It might be time to change....I want to repeat one word for you: Leave."
These words are what inspired Paul to finally just drop his concerns about the future and just do this trip. I am proud and thankful for these words and Paul's response to them.

My goal is to encourage all people to leave. I work with Phonathon and call Messiah alumni, asking them for advice to me as a college student. The theme reoccurs: "Enjoy it while it lasts." They imply, "Just wait until you have to handle the real world." This is a sad thing. I don't think there's anything that says you shouldn't have fun in college, but at the same time, it shouldn't be the time of your life; it should prepare you for the time of your life. Hear this, America: I will not be what you want me to be. I will live life. When I am 94 and living on a morphine pump, I will not reflect on life in regret of not taking a chance, not pursuing adventure. When there is a risk, I will take it. When there is a dangerous, Kingdom-advancing opportunity, I will take it. When to live for Christ means love and sacrifice, I will do it. When earth's most gorgeous female exists, I will vulnerably present my heart and selflessly guard, encourage, and provide for hers (and it will be beautiful). I will live.

One reason besides college that I left my old band is the rat race. There's a mentality that Satan has wildly dispersed throughout the Christian hardcore scene that says, "who can get signed first" or "who can sell the coolest merchadise to the most people." I will no longer give into our culture's numerous other rat races that promise nothing as a reward. I will store treasures in heaven. I will be bold now, because that means I will have to be held accountable to truly live, which means I will be fulfilled.

Today I met Mike, who came up for the weekend. I am glad I met him. I believe most of the bonding between Paul, him, and me will be done on the road. That's where we will really learn about each other.

We leave December 19, the day after finals. We'll make projected stops in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Yellowstone, Seattle, Oregon (Christmas with Paul's friends), Cali, Nevada, Grand Canyon, etc etc, among others.

I can't get too ahead of myself, though. There's still many things to enjoy between now and December 19. These things include, but are certainly not limitted to: actually being Thankful at Thanksgiving, talking to DJ at 4 AM about why he's a communist, seeing average-quality musical performance with Morgan at the Union (while listening to her insight from philosophy class), coming back late at night to find roommates (Austin and Dave) laughing histarically at The Office, getting 2 hours of sleep on select nights, filling out my application to study in Uganda, finally not having to get up for my original campus job, talking to Danika on iChat during class, etc etc etc

Truth be told, I have nothing to complain about. I am blessed. And it's ok to be blessed.

Thank you, Chris, for your inspiration and legacy of walking from Minnesota to Philly.
Thank you, Mom, for tolerating me and not making decisions for me (because really, I know what I'm doing, right?).
Thank you, Don Miller, you freaking inspiring guy.
Thank you, Psalters, for playing on our campus.
Thank you, students, for talking to me as a stranger in Lottie or Boyer or wherever we met. Without knowing it, you are my daily inspiration, and your enthusiasm is like electricity to me.
Thank you, Christ, for without your love, I'd be too afraid to go anywhere. For always allowing me to come back to you. For teaching me what my studies in cross-cultural ministries are all about, how I can not just simply speak the Gospel, but live it. For not revealing an understanding of grace to me.

For being all that I am not.

1 comment:

kathryn said...

Hi Phil. Is !Kung one of those words you pronounce with a postalveolar click?

Your enthusiasm is compelling.