Friday, December 26, 2008

Day 8 - Hays KS

It's hard to remember what happened today. First thing is first: We determined that continental breakfasts here are a thousand times better than those of the Holiday Inn. They even leave the Oat & Honey bars out all the time, and consequently, I did not have to purchase any food today.

The first thing we found out about the part that was supposed to be shipped to us today was that although the billing information went through, they told us we wouldn't receive it until Monday. Maybe you can imagine how pissed off all of us were, but most likely, you can't. So many things had to go wrong over and over again to keep us in Kansas this whole time, and now this! Paul wasn't going to settle. "I cannot stay here until Monday."

I was so frustrated and just wanted to cuss at someone or break something. Fortunately for Hays, Kansas, I just walked around back and sat down, feeling the beautiful weather, which in turn made me even more mad because it was like God saying, "Oh, look Phil, you're supposed to be enjoying your time here." I hate when God gives me what I want when I don't want it.

Paul, determined to get out of town by tomorrow at the latest, called up the Audi dealer in Topeka (for about the 8932570276th time) and began to try to negotiate. Audi was dismissive, unhelpful, and aggravating. I called UPS, which was actually entirely empathetic, personal, and informative. They helped a lot. Basically, there was a mix up because Audi said they delivered the part to their UPS to get shipped, but UPS said that they never received the package. After dozens of back-and-forth calls, we finally canceled the original order and had them overnight a completely new order (all of these calls being made as we are walking around town). Audi then called and said overnighting it wouldn't work. Then they called back saying it would, but for a larger fee. Then they called back and said it wouldn't. Finally, we called UPS and asked if we could just meet them at an airport to pick up the package. They gave us the number to the UPS employee who would be transporting the package, and as we called him, he told us that he would personally deliver the package to us at our hotel early tomorrow morning! So basically, if you want to run a large company or corporation, have good customer service. Please!

So we found out that we actually had another night at the Fairfield Inn booked. We weren't aware of it until we actually checked out of our room in the afternoon. During this time, the front desk lady was quite helpful. She gave me the number to a local pastor (of the same church that we attended the Christmas Eve service). This pastor was very helpful and said that if we did need a place to stay for free, since we were low on cash, he would make some calls to members of his church. It was refreshing to know that of all the churches that refused to help or blew us off with unhelpful alternatives, there were still churches willing to lovingly take kids in, even considering "what things are like today" (when they say that, I think they are referring to high crime rates and stuff).

So we're all very glad that the package will show up tomorrow morning, instead of Monday. Today for me was a serious time of pondering whether I should spend January hitchhiking. I was about ready to leave by the time that we found out we could get the package tomorrow. I'm still skeptical though. So many things have gone wrong so far, so why shouldn't another? Tell me to have faith or something Christianish like that so I can be optimistic.

Thank you to everyone who has been praying, and a special thanks to Joy who seriously wanted to help fix the problem with her connections in Kansas. Also a special thanks to Mike and Paul for tolerating me being out of character and cranky (even though we all are). My final thanks goes to the town of Hays for not hating people who are bitter and break down in their area. At least you have a Goodwill so we can pass the time laughing at those sweet mom jeans, the ones with no back pockets and elastic hips.

There isn't much to do here. Mike and Paul mentioned that to a car salesman who replied with, "Yeah, you guys aren't old enough to drink, are ya?"

We played Phase 10 for awhile and almost ordered a pizza but didn't. I'm laying on the bed we all shared last night (I'm man enough to admit that) and Paul and Mike are down on the main floor in the hot tub. I went in earlier which was a nice breather from today's insanity.

When you sleep between people, you always win. Whenever Mike wanted sheets, he would pull, and whenever Paul wanted sheets, he would pull. Since I was in the middle I was asleep basically all night, fully covered the whole time. I've been in my pajama pants since this morning.

Tomorrow we hope to be on the road to the Grand Canyon and get there around 4 AM. Then off to Cali. But of course, everything always changes.

Before I stop rambling about nothing I'd like to mention that I finished a book today. It was about two dudes who choose to live the urban homeless lifestyle and learn a lot about life, the church, relationships, the street, etc. I won't bore you with the contents of the book (even though it might be extremely interesting to most of you), but I would like to quote part of the book's summary that we all can benefit from, and I'll end this post on that note:

"What if following Him is hard? What if along the way He asks you to accomplish difficult tasks or to overcome intimidating obstacles? What if it requires more of you than you have to give?
Listen, that's the way it's supposed to be. Those places of need are where you and I discover ourselves, our faith, and-best of all-our God. It's there, in our weakness, that He shows Himself true, faithful, powerful, gracious, and loving....Your journey will lead you toward utter dependence on the King of kings and a resolution to follow Him wherever He may ask you to go....Still not sure what your risk might be? Then I dare you to ask yourself a reality-rattling question: What would I do during my day or in my life for God if I wasn't concerned with what I wear, what I eat, where I sleep, what I own, what people think of me, or what discomforts I face? Think about your answer. You're probably at least in the neighborhood of where your personal journey starts."

....Hello, America!

Take up your cross.



(I'm just glad we're not at the "Comfort" Inn)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your making the best out of an unpleasant situation.

Kathy Widenhouse said...

what an incredible experience you're having

Meg said...

That book excerpt is pretty challenging yet something that I'd love to achieve in the next few years.