Saturday, December 27, 2008

Day 9 - Hays KS

Have you ever lived an entire week of waking up in hopefulness and spending the rest of your day in disappointing helplessness?

Today we woke up, expecting our package to arrive at the front desk of the hotel, like the driver of the UPS truck personally told us it would. I was skeptical since I woke up, but at least the UPS guy sounding reassuring the day before. I decided to start blogging in the middle of the day to let out my frustration, hoping that at the end of today, I will have had a positive experience to blog about. I've probably turned so many people off of my blog already due to my transparency of my feelings.

Another day of frantically searching Kansas via telephone and internet for a good samaritan that may be personally willing to deliver our part.

If we can't find someone to personally be willing to drive out of their way for us, we'll be spending another two nights in this town. I need to get out of the hotel, though. The lady at the front desk gave us a local pastor's number. He said he would try to help us with a place to stay. I need to be around people. That's why I wanted to go on this trip in the first place, for the sake of meeting people. If we leave Monday, we'll have to cut Reno out of our schedule, which I'm not to disappointed about because I could always hit the town of Reno during an acoustic tour over the summer or something. We'd also have to cut out a day of being in Oregon, but that should only sentimentally impact the quality of Paul's journey because he's the one that knows these Oregon friends. The rest of our trip would be unaffected, other than the fact that we probably wouldn't be able to stay in places for as long as we'd like to. I'm typing this and trying to convince myself that it's not a big deal. At least if we can't find help today then I will know that we have no hope tomorrow. Therefore, I won't have to be let down tomorrow and I can just spend the time enjoying Hays (I just laughed when I wrote that).

Oh yeah, did I mention that Audi shipped our package via regular ground shipping instead of next-day shipping like we had asked?

If anyone has friends in Wichita with an extra 5 hours to spare tonight, do tell.

EDIT: During J-term break, I will be traveling with my brothers in the band Aneirin to their shows in NC/SC. I'm looking forward to that type of traveling, hanging with kids that are used to loud music and crashing on floors in strangers' homes. It will be a good breather and will remind me of the lifestyle that I am used to loving: always meeting new people, always on the road. (Never discouraged by vehicle problems.)

1 comment:

Carolina Garden Man said...

Phil,
this is the wise uncle,
I think you should go ahead and get a job in Hays. I is a town with good folks. Kansas is a great place to be from.
Brett