Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Day 6 - Hays KS (I'm going to get sick of writing that)

Today was simple enough. I woke up in time for yet another continental breakfast. Then I waited.

We were supposed to be out of our room by 2 PM (midwest time) and we knew that Paul's car would be done sometime today. We just didn't know when. At about 1:54 Patti called us, saying that the car was done and her daughter was on her way to the hotel to pick us up. I don't think I ever saw Paul as happy as at that moment this entire trip. So inwardly, I'm praising God, and outwardly, I'm gratefully running around the room packing bags and throwing them on the cart. Just as we're walking out the door, we get another phone call, this one saying that although two ignition coils have been fixed, the computer is now showing that the other two coils are bad. Our high hopes came crashing, as we knew we'd have to wait over Christmas for coils to ship again. I'm very frustrated at this point. We are now sitting in the lobby waiting to see if we should get another night at the hotel, but I'm tired of hanging around waiting so I decide to go for an unannounced walk to see if Hays, Kansas really has anything to offer. It doesn't.

I saw a truck for sale and tried to call the owner to see if he'd rent the vehicle to us for the day but he didn't answer. I explored prices for a cell phone charger at different stores, but I didn't have my wallet. So I turn around and walk all the way back to the hotel where Paul and Mike are sitting in the lobby still, talking about how one of us should try to hitchhike to Denver to pick up the part we need for Paul's car so we can get out of this place already. I'm sure my face probably lit up at the thought.

I walked across the road to a truck station, asking truckers if any of them were headed west. The first guy I encountered was really interested in why I wanted to go out there, and I explained to him our situation (a story I would repeat many times): "We're trying to get a part from an Audi dealer and if I can hitch a ride to Denver I can make it before closing with the time zone difference. Then I'll hitchhike back here so we can get the part on the car and hit the road again before Christmas is over." The first prospect was actually staying in Hays (why would anyone do that willingly, unless they had family here of course?).

With no luck at the truck station, I tried the next-door McDonald's. No customers were headed west, but I found a few people who just came from Denver. I tried to go to the truck station again. This time I encountered a lady pumping gas who was headed to Colorado Springs. Her husband considered helping out and even offered a meal and money, but I didn't accept these things as they wouldn't assist our situation. They weren't passing through Denver so they declined on giving me a lift west.

I decided to go under the overpass to the other side of the road, which I thought might be more strategic, as the cars getting off at the side of the interstate are the ones headed west. I walked in a gas station and asked a few customers if they were going to Denver. One didn't speak English and the other was only going 60 miles west.

I figured I'd clear my mind by walking to Wal-Mart again so I could laugh (inwardly) at all the people freaking out about last-minute shopping. I'm sorry if it's unloving or unfriendly and whatnot, but this year I have neglected to buy any gifts. I'm not one of those guys that's like, "December 25th isn't Jesus' real birthday," because quite frankly that's not the point and those type of people don't create an alternative date to celebrate anyway.

So after the second aimless trip to Wal-Mart, I returned to the gas station. I went inside and found no customers. Then I walked outside to speak with those pumping gas. This one cool black dude with shades and deadlocks said he was going to Denver, but they didn't have room in their minivan. I wished them a good trip and started to walk back to the hotel.

"Hey, buddy!"

I turned around to see the cashier from inside glaring at me, clenching the few teeth she had left. "You need to stop hussling my customers and get off of the property. This is a private lot!" (Maybe I should've taken the hint earlier due to the "Paying Customers Only" sign on the bathroom door.)

"Excuse me, ma'am. I'm not trying to haggle your customers, I'm just trying to hitch a ride. I don't mean to bother you."

Not listening: "This is a private lot! You need to leave!" At this she turned around to walk back inside.

"Well I am very sorry and I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas." I was shocked at my willingness to love this person that hated me, whereas earlier I had cursed on the phone to my dad about the American church not caring about three teenage boys stuck in the middle of nowhere. He said my cursing at them was worse than them not loving me. I understand that I shouldn't cuss, especially since I told myself I'd try not to during this trip (haha), but I think to a certain degree God is glorified in our authenticity, our honesty. Let me explain:

Steve Cort, my summer camp director, said the first time that he really prayed to God was when he slammed a bathroom stall door and used every profane word he knew to express how he felt. If you examine the psalms, ecclesiastes, etc, you will find some angry and vulgar literature directed toward God. Now I'm not trying to justify my tongue. All I am saying is that if in my head I am cursing at God, I might as well be outwardly honest about my feelings. I think it's healthy, you know, not bottling things up. It's a shame people are more concerned about inappropriate language than they are concerned with those living a few streets down in complete poverty.

When I was walking around "town" asking for a ride, something came to mind. Something I continually mention. Dependency. We don't want to have to rely on others for help, because it makes us seem like we've failed in supporting ourselves individually. In reality, however, we are always being dependent on each other. Take the simplest thing, like underwear, for example. We might go to the store and purchase some underwear, thinking, "Wow isn't it great that I was able to buy these all by myself?" If you look more closely, you'll realize that some farmer somewhere had to grow the cotton and then harvest it. Following that, a trucker picked up the cotton and delivered it to a wholesale distributor. This cotton was probably shelved by and employee who then loaded it onto another truck. Then the cotton was combined with other resources by other people, using machines made by other people, to create the underwear. Sometimes a graphic designer is necessary to create interesting-looking underwear, also requiring someone to print that graphic onto the main product. After more shipping is done, the product is shelved by another employee, and before we can take that item out of the store, a cashier has to scan it and take a credit card/give a receipt. We're created as dependent creatures.

Another thing came to mind when I was asking people for a lift. It's called manna. Yes, God provides, but sometimes we have to retrieve what is given. If the Israelites just sat in a circle with their legs crossed, waiting to see if "trusting God" would work, praying really hard as a substitute for acting on their problems, they never would've gotten fed. They had to actually get up and get the manna. How often do we pray about something, hoping for divine intervention, leaving the rest up to God. Now I see the value of trust in the Lord, but it requires more of a physical response than we often think. Maybe He provides lots of opportunities, but not so much physical objects. Today, instead of simply "praying and trusting God" about being stuck and wanting to leave Hays, I had to go out and see if the opportunity to leave was available. Today, it wasn't.

Being here shouldn't set us back as far as our schedule. If worst comes to worst, we will skip Seattle. We could probably still make it if we drove a lot, but I'm totally open to dropping Seattle off of the schedule and taking it easy for the rest of the trip. I am saying all of this believing that the Audi won't crap on us again.

Tonight we went to a local Christmas Eve service at a church. It was everything you'd expect at a Christmas Eve service, nothing more, nothing less. Jeremy sent me a text reminding me that Christ wasn't born in a warm building. That was pretty sweet, on account that for tonight at least, I am in a warm building. I have a feeling it will be a decent Christmas. Although it is our last free night in the Holiday Inn, we can move across the street to another hotel for less than $40 a night. I do hope we leave by Friday! Is that too much to ask? I would say, "God can we please leave soon?" but how often does what we want stand in the way of the simplicity of what He knows will make us happy?

I'd just like to note that this year, I celebrated my birthday by doing homework and now I am celebrating Christmas by being stranded. I hope Christmas is as good as my birthday was (for real, it was good, even without any parties or gifts). If not, okay. Whatever. Christ lives and stuff.

I'm also thinking about taking off J-term and doing some hitchhiking.

Good Christian men, rejoice
With heart and soul and voice
Now ye need not fear the grave:
Peace! Peace!
Jesus Christ was born to save
Calls you one and calls you all
To gain His everlasting hall
Christ was born to save
Christ was born to save

8 comments:

paper shoes said...

would you be able to get the address of the hotel you are staying at? how long do you project to be there?

thephilwilmot said...

well we're at the Holiday Inn in Hays, Kansas for the night. Tomorrow we'll have to leave cuz we run out of free nights with Paul's dad's business. We'll probably be moving to the Fairfield Inn across the road (where we can get a discount because Paul's bro works there - well not at that one but you get it).

We could leave town as early as Friday afternoon, but as late as Saturday evening. I'm hoping for the former, but I'll try to be content with whatever, ya know....

You can just google those hotels for Hays, KS for addresses. Why do you ask?

paper shoes said...

I want to send you a package overnight on friday. So I'm assuming it'd get there saturday morning. If you won't be there, then there is no point. Maybe there is a next destination that I could forward it to. Nothing big or fancy, but I just really feel for you guys. Let me know either way.

thephilwilmot said...

haha! Don't feel the need to be empathetic. Truth is, we're in a great situation. It's an adventure. Christ was born without a warm building. I am in a warm building. We're only frustrated because our hopes were up on leaving. I'm generally at peace about it, I'm just not used to the concept of not trying to make progress in life. Being still is tough with our culture, but certainly beneficial. There is beauty in Hays Kansas when you allow your eyes to be open haha. Anyway, we will be staying with Morgan Lee (from Witmer) in San Francisco (her number is 5104931437) a few days after we leave here. We'll also probably be crashing at Hannah Nussbaum's (from Naugle) house in Minnesota sometime in early January. Probably the 2nd or 3rd. (Her number is 6512451323) - Both girls have texting I believe. But seriously, don't be pressured or obligated. If it makes your heart glad, go for it. If it's at all an inconvenience, be blessed and bless someone else instead. Merry celebrating of Jesus day

paper shoes said...

haha okay sounds good. Merry Christmas to you too!

kathryn said...

I'm glad that God provides in a way that doesn't allow us to be lazy. It's much better for us.

PS, Paul says "skubala" in Philippians 3:8 (Gk = shit) http://www.jeffwofford.com/2006/11/wading-in-skubala.html
...but of course, we white europeans have to censor that sort of thing.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I was able to exceed your expectations, Phil.

Also, I respect your ability to be open minded in these situations. Your ability to think so deeply and provide such insight for us to read is something I envy. Blessings to you all on this Christmas evening. Hope to hear from you soon.

Anonymous said...

Phil, you simply amaze me. I long to have that strength you have! I appreciate your blog so much, I can't even describe it. I hope you guys were able to have a great Christmas despite your inconveniences. May the Lord bless you all richly! I can't wait to see you guys again!